Alive and Kicking
Established in 2004, A+K is the world's only not-for-profit sports ball manufacturer. Since opening, we have established centres in Ghana, Kenya, South Africa and Zambia. Our not-for-profit ball manufacturers exist to:
1. We create ethical employment opportunities for adults facing social and economic disadvantage - lifting individuals and families out of poverty.
2. We have created 1,074 ethical jobs using creative and sustainable business practices, we have made 986,893 balls and we have contributed £5,013,416 to local economies across sub-Saharan Africa.
Why? Over 42% of people in sub-Saharan Africa are living below the poverty line meaning their income is $1.90 or less per day and over 70 % of jobs are classed as vulnerable.
1. We donate our durable, hand-stitched balls to children and young people from communities that face disadvantage.
2. We have donated 178,930 balls which have reached over 8,050,000 young people.
Why? Exercise and physical activity are proven to improve quality of life and health outcomes in children. Promotion of exercise in supportive environments is essential for achieving good health.
1. We teach children life-saving health education through sport, funded by our international ball sales and additional fundraising. Our health programmes focus on mental health, HIV and malaria.
2. We have trained 1,245 youth educators to deliver health education in their communities. They have gone on to reach 89,556 young people on a weekly basis and continue to do so.
Why? Twenty million people live with HIV. Malaria keeps more children out of school in sub-Saharan Africa then any other disease. 80% of people facing mental health challenges are based in developing countries where fewer than one in five are able to access any treatment or support.